16 Jul 2007

Pope asks Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor to stay on


The following letter has been sent by my namesake, Cardinal Murphy (-O'Connor, if you must!) to the Bishops, Priests and Deacons of the Archdiocese of Westminster.

9 July 2007

Dear Father,

On the occasion of my 75th birthday in August and in accordance with Canon Law, I have written to Pope Benedict offering my resignation as Archbishop of Westminster.

In the response I have received the Holy Father has invited me instead to continue in my present pastoral ministry donec aliter provideatur - that is, until he chooses otherwise. I am very content to accept the Holy Father’s request.

I ask you again for your prayers and I am grateful for your support and co-operation in our care of this Diocese.

With sincere good wishes,






Archbishop of Westminster

It is indeed interesting to reflect on why the Holy Father has asked Cormac to continue!

Other outspoken bishops are immediately relieved of their duties, like Bishop Franz Kamphaus of Limburg, Germany. What then can this signify?

It is more than unlikely that Cardinal Murphy was an enthusiastic Ratzinger elector in the conclave. Is it difficult to find a successor in England and Wales? What about the much-toted Bishop Roche of Leeds?

Or is the Pope planning a visit to Britain?

We may never know the reason, but let's wish Cormac and Westminster every good fortune and God's blessing.

No comments: